Businesses have been using corporate travel agents to manage their business programs for many years. Corporate travel agents have been dubbed the personal assistants of the business travel world, creating tailored business trips that suit each company, traveler, and business trip.Corporate travel agents are popular since they take on all aspects of
business trip planning, from organizing itineraries to finding great deals on flights and accommodation. However, with the rise in
digital travel management platforms, many have begun to ask how corporate travel agents now fit into the business travel industry landscape.Here, we give you the answers to the questions “what is a corporate travel agent?” and “what does a corporate travel agent do?”, and explore the advantages and disadvantages of using their services.
- Corporate travel agents understand travel costs: Their job is to ensure that your travel budgets are respected, by making sure they obtain the best deals possible on transportation, accommodation, etc. They have established relationships with suppliers to get better deals and discounts.
- They manage complex expense processes: Handing over travel expense duties to corporate travel agents relieves businesses of time spent poring over paperwork and reimbursement submissions.
- All of your business travel needs are accounted for: Corporate travel agents are trained in understanding each business and each traveler’s specific needs and adapting business travel for them.
- Provides traveler support: Employees can contact the corporate travel agent directly when they run into issues during business trips. Agents can easily rearrange transportation, advise on safety measures specific to each country, and facilitate changes to itineraries.
- Businesses can rack up costs when using corporate travel agents: Each corporate travel agent or agency is different, but most charge businesses an annual fee, plus transactional fees every time you use their service. This alone can eat up a large chunk of businesses’ travel budgets.
- They’re working for them, not for you: Since they have established relationships with suppliers, you can’t always be sure that the deal they’ve obtained is the best one for you, or the best one for them.
- Less transparency into travel processes: Whenever you outsource a business process, you automatically have less insight into how and why decisions are made. This gives you less opportunity to keep an eye on your travel management KPIs.
- They may not be available when you need them: Generally speaking, corporate travel agents only work during standard business hours. If your employees face issues after working hours or during the weekends, they’ll be left unable to contact someone for assistance.
- Searching, booking, and managing flight expenses all from within the TravelPerk platform. Plus, you’ll have access to an industry-leading inventory for booking corporate flights to help you find the best rates.
- Booking accommodation from within one platform, by giving you access to an extensive inventory for booking corporate accommodation, such as hotel rooms, for the best prices.
- Defining and automating your travel policy guidelinesand approval workflow for better compliance.
Ensuring the safety of your travellers with our
travel safety solutionsthat inform travelers of changes, advisories, and disruptions during their trip. Your employees also have a direct line to contact our Customer Care team for immediate assistance, 365 days a year, 24/7.