Whether you’re touring Germany or taking things across Europe, car rental companies in the land of bratwurst and beer come rife. Being home to BMW and Mercedes-Benz, Germany has a reputation to uphold when it comes to cars.
From Munich Airport to Frankfurt Airport, Hamburg to Dusseldorf, we’ve covered car rental companies nationwide to bring you the best of the bunch. In this list, we’ve rounded up the top car rental companies that are kind on the credit card and come with features that make renting your car easy and keep your journey rolling.
To make your selection easier, we’ve gone through the top car rental companies in Germany with a fine tooth comb. To best compare the options on this list, we searched each website for a 3-day midweek rental in Berlin, for dates two weeks from the time of writing this piece.
Ready? We’ll have you zipping down the autobahn before you can say lass uns gehen!
TravelPerk offers a vast inventory, including both manual and automatic cars, from which to choose your rental car. If you’re looking for a sustainable option, there’s also a selection of electric cars available. Plus, VAT-friendly invoices are available for a number of car rental companies offered by TravelPerk, saving you a lot of time, hassle, and money.
TravelPerk works with some of the top names on the market, including Avis, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National, and Sixt. The list doesn’t end there—if you have specific needs requiring a specialized service, TravelPerk can get in touch with extra providers to find your ideal vehicle. From pick-up trucks to lorries to group convoys, the options available at TravelPerk are second to none.
TravelPerk’s key features include:
- Partnerships with leading car rental companies
- 24/7 customer servicewith a target 15-second response time
- Intuitive booking tool and all-in-one platform
- Available in four languages: German, English, French, and Spanish
- Bonus feature GreenPerkto offset your carbon emissions
- Paid extra FlexiPerk, enabling passengers to cancel up to two hours before a journey starts and receive 80% of their money back
- A vast number of software integrations
A three-day car rental for the middle of August, booked two weeks in advance, with pick-up and drop-off in central Berlin offered a compact 4-5 door starting at 135.20€.
Sixt have ample car rental locations to choose from and cover everything from Convertibles to Passenger Vans.
What’s more, Sixt offers a new spin on car rentals with their Sixt+ Car Subscription. You can pick the best price vehicle for your budget, and customize your subscription with mileage packages and coverage options that suit your needs best.
You’ll need no down payment, there are no extra financing surcharges, and your vehicle won’t depreciate. Plus, you can cancel at any time, so no worries about sticky contracts if you decide you don’t need the car anymore.
Take a look at their top features:
- A huge selection of different drop-off points
- Daily deals and promotions
- Sixt+ car subscription plans
- Car sharing: expands to bikes, e-scooters, e-mopeds bookable within an app
- Personal cars for exec travel: personal chauffeurs to airport taxi shuttles
We found that a three-day family car rental for August, booked two weeks in advance, started at $187.18.
Need more? Students save 10% when booking van rentals or cars making your move to new student accommodation or back home that much easier on the mind and pocket.
Their fleet service will also ensure your business is staying on the go while optimizing costs—finding you the cheapest solution for the type of travel you need.
It’s worth mentioning our research found that while Buchbinder had a large selection of vans and trucks available, they had a limited choice of cars.
More features include:
- Long-term rentals for business and individual travelers
- Electric vehicles to keep your emissions low and revenue high
- Vans & truck hires available
- Individual contracts that are designed specifically for your needs
- 24/7 Germany-wide and Europe-wide customer support in partnership with ADAC
- Speedy responses to accidents, breakdowns, or last-minute repairs
- Protected insurance rates: even if you have a self-inflicted road accident
We found that a three-day family car rental for August, booked two weeks in advance, started at €381.95.
The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® program has eradicated the fear of lengthy morning queues that are so notorious with car rental companies of the past. As a member of the program, you’ll be able to skip the queues and head straight for your car at the pick-up location.
Some of their stand-out features include:
- The Dream Collection: a selection of luxury cars (only available in certain locations)
- Van rentals by the week, day, or even by the hour
- Partner offers to sweeten your trip including American Express, Hostelling International, Sonhaus, Accor, and more
- Gold Plus Rewards: earn redeemable points, save up to 10%, guaranteed upgrades, and more
We found that a three-day family car rental for August, booked two weeks in advance, started at 133.13€.
Starcar offers an accessible rental service, promising good customer support, quick matches for business trips, and everything from moving vans to limousines for your special guests or executive staff members.
There’s also a fantastic free rental section: which means if a rental car is available for your desired route, you can rent it for free during the specified period—sehr gut!
Here are some notable features:
- Monthly offers: Starcar delivers an e-monthly bang sharing some fantastic offers where the time may be just right
- Safety & environmental tech innovation: Starcar jumps on new tech as quickly as possible to deliver a more eco-friendly and safer service.
- An expanding list of licensees to take your Starcar experience overseas with partner brands
- Camper vans available for those bleisure travelers out there looking to explore some of the German countryside
We found that a three-day family car rental for August, booked two weeks in advance, ranged from 176€ - 200€.
Out of all of the companies we’ve shared on this page, TravelPerk comes out on top for its ease of use when it comes to the intuitive mobile booking application, and should be your go-to for business travel. The TravelPerk team works tirelessly to secure car rental deals that you’ll struggle to beat elsewhere. What’s more, traveling with TravelPerk comes with heaps more benefits beyond your car rentals: you’ll have your entire business trip planned from the comfort of one app.
Pack your driver’s license, check that speed limit (or not, if you’re on the autobahn!), and buckle up; Germany is on the map!