Organizing corporate travel can be challenging without the right level of support available. Whether that's a highly qualified support team to help book travel or on-the-go notifications for keeping employees up-to-date—you need a solution that looks out for your business.
That's why travel managers turn to travel assistance solutions. Travel assistance providers help ensure support is available when things don’t go to plan—whether that’s unexpected flight delays or stranded employee travelers.
In this article, we'll look at:
- What are travel assistance companies?
- What should you look out for in your travel assistance solution?
- Does my company need to use a travel assistance company?
- The 6 best travel assistance companies for your business
There's a range of companies out there that can help with assisting travel arrangements. It's important to choose the right one that fits your needs and requirements for business travel.
Let’s first take a look at exactly what travel assistance companies are, and how they can help you with your corporate travel.
They provide an extra layer of support that often operates around the clock via a hotline or chat app. No matter where you are or what situation you're in, these companies are on-hand to help out.
Whether it’s a medical emergency that requires urgent medical assistance or speedy repatriation—travel assistance companies give you the peace of mind that your employees are well-supported no matter where they are.
Travel assistance companies support you through the entire corporate travel process—from the day of the departure until the day you return.
Here’s what you should be looking out for in your travel assistance provider of choice:
- Evacuation capabilities: for field rescue and evacuation. You need a solution that can help to organize and successfully provide emergency assistance or medical evacuations from destinations worldwide.
- 24/7 support**:** for emergencies and non-emergencies. A 24/7 emergency and non-emergency hotline that offers clients support at any point in their trip—from an early morning start to middle of the night requests.
- Destination reports: for your traveling employee’s destination. These reports will warn of any risks to consider, and offer resources for mitigating those risks when traveling.
- Concierge services: for dealing with issues with trip cancellation, travel delay, and travel documents. Unexpected issues can arise, and you need a solution that can offer personalized support for your employees.
- Visa and passport services: for employees traveling to destinations far and wide. Ensuring all documentation is correct and up-to-date is essential for smooth business travel.
- Travel insurance options: to protect you and your staff members whilst away on business travel.
Your travel assistance solution should help you throughout the travel management process—not just when things go wrong. The above features are an overview of what to expect from your travel assistance solution.
Duty of care refers to the legal obligation employers have to put reasonable measures in place to ensure employees are protected from physical and psychological harm. Put simply, you're responsible for ensuring employees are safe and secure on company time—no matter where they are.
There are other reasons for having travel assistance providers for your business—some of which you may have already encountered. Here are a few situations where these companies can benefit your business.
For example, let’s say one of your employees is flying home late Sunday evening. They arrive at the airport and see their flight’s been canceled—they have nowhere to stay and no way of getting home. This is where your travel assistance solution steps in, to ensure your employee is safe and supported.
Travel assistance solutions have dedicated support teams working around-the-clock to help stranded employees. They’re a much better alternative to notifying your travel manager at the slightest inconvenience, and can solve issues a lot faster than an in-house booker.
Losing baggage or documents can often throw a trip into turmoil. It's always a good idea to have a hotline available that your business travelers can call at any time to get expert assistance on what to do during times of confusion.
Travel assistance companies can offer help in case of natural disasters, and can help facilitate medical services or assistance in evacuating from the location in question.
All employers are placed under a statutory duty of care to ensure that employees are safe and protected from risk at all times. This duty of care means employers must identify any risks to health and safety and provide appropriate measures to ensure traveler safety.
Here are six of the best travel assistance companies to consider in 2023.
The company’s top-rated support team uses their knowledge to support your employees no matter where they are.
Main travel assistance capabilities according to TravelPerk:
- Receive 24/7 support from real humans in 15 seconds or less
- 1-1 concierge services to help cover every detail of your trip, from organizing travel to accommodation and meeting rooms
- TravelCarefor risk assessment and management with COVID-19 information, pre- and during travel alerts, and destination guidelines, so that travelers fly safe, and admins know of any problems that might come up during the trip
- Real-time traveler notifications to keep employees in the loop
- Integrations available with a number of duty of care providers like Riskline, International SOS, Safeture, and others to provide you with the safest experience possible.
Alongside the travel assistance features, TravelPerk also offers a variety of other solutions, such as:
- An industry-leading inventory that offers the best deals on the market–including flights, accommodation, trains, and car rentals.
- FlexiPerk offers travelers flexible travel solutionby enabling organizations to get 80% of their money back when canceling up to two hours in advance
- Ample third-party integrations, including expense management, meeting space, mobility, security, sustainability, travel and user management, enable you to integrate the platform with your existing workflow
TravelPerk offers travel solutions to businesses big and small, and helps ensure your employees always have access to support.
The travel assistance company supports a variety of companies—universities, tour operators, and non-profits.
Main travel assistance capabilities according to Global Rescue:
- Global rescue team that specializes in supporting and rescuing employees in need of assistance
- Destination reports and event alerts to provide guidance for those who need it when traveling to unfamiliar destinations
Global Rescue is a chosen provider for businesses that operate in high-risk and unpredictable locations. They're a good choice for travel protection—that’s their only offering, after all.
The travel assistance solution not only helps when it comes to medical care or emergency evacuation, but it also assists employees on a smaller scale—such as with translation services. Traveling to a multilingual country can be just as daunting as canceled travel—Travel Guard helps with both.
Main travel assistance capabilities according to Travel Guard:
- Translation services available in other 40 different languages
- Wide range of insurance coverage and plans to suit your needs
The company not only excels in providing first-class travel support, but it also offers travel insurance policies through the well-known insurance company, AIG. This way, you and your employees are covered in the unfortunate event that things do go wrong.
Allianz’s travel assistance solutions are offered as part of your insurance, and can help if things go wrong.
Main travel assistance capabilities according to Allianz Travel Insurance:
- 24/7 award-winning assistance worldwide
- A network of prescreened medical facilities to help ensure you find the right medical providers for your needs
Allianz offers the solutions that many businesses need when organizing corporate travel. Not everything always goes to plan, so it’s good to have an insurance provider that has your back.
It's a long-standing travel insurance company that you can trust to help with any of your travel assistance needs.
Main travel capabilities according to Generali Travel Insurance:
- Receive ID Theft Resolution and Concierge Services for all travel
- Three separate insurance plans to cater to affordability and provide ample coverage for your needs
This travel insurance company only offers solutions to the US market and US residents—but they provide worldwide coverage for customers.
The globally-recognized solution is helpful for providing support for any travel disruptions or problems you may encounter.
Main travel assistance capabilities according to AMEX GBT:
- 24/7/365 customer support services to handle issues whenever they occur
- Personal travel assistants to help provide a unique and tailored experience to every client who books business travel
By using the services of Amex Global Business Travel, you'll get access to a range of benefits for being a customer of the brand as a whole.
It offers airline credit reporting to see what unused tickets have resulted in reimbursement and expense guidance to help save money. Risk management solutions are also provided to ensure your employees stay safe at all times.
However, Amex GBT falls short in the tech it uses, not as easy and comprehensive as users would like. Its customer support is also lacking, and the inventory options are limited and more expensive compared to TravelPerk, for example.
Disruptions to travel can occur at any given time—being well-prepared determines how these issues affect your company and employees. It's important to have a company that you can rely on to help with your travel arrangements for 2023 and beyond.TravelPerk’s traveler support is unmatched, and the wide variety of features helps ensure your traveling employees are safe and informed no matter what.
Try TravelPerk todayto start efficiently managing your corporate travel process from start to finish.